Friday, August 26, 2011

The surreal thing

C'eci n'est pas une flowerbed. You have to look a little bit below the surface to consider the meaning of today's poem, but the images are visual/verbal jokes everyone should find amusing. Think about them in the context of surrealist painter Rene Magritte and American poet legend Emily Dickinson. To view and read more, visit blog.amynelsonhahn.info

How did you find me

You laughed
when I told you there were
flowers in my bed,
but there's nothing strange
or contretemps about it.
I simply woke one morn
with pansies in my hair,
and a bold earthworm
called hello between my toes.
Now I nevermind the loam
or the errant busy bee --
it is my pleasure to roll over
and plant my cheek
where clover yearns with dew.
And you thought it funny
but the flowers just appeared --
I swear. One morning
they were not, and then suddenly
they were, as if
it were nothing new,
just a little trick
they had played on you.

Copyright (c) 2011 Amy Nelson Hahn

view with images 2271, 2270, and 2273 from photos.amynelsonhahn.info or visit blog.amynelsonhahn.info

No comments:

Post a Comment